View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
webjockey

Yes, he's in Kindergarten and not doing very well. As for drugs. Hells no. Frankly, even if he was diagnosed with ADHD, I still probably wouldn't put him on meds. There is way too much that is unknown about this, and the fact that children do outgrow it.

A lot of this is due to parenting and can be fixed with better techniques. I know I don't spend enough time with him and have provided him with the consistent parenting that he needs. I noticed that he started exhibiting these behaviors when we started building the house. Having 3 kids + full time work + no real external support system (without paying someone) has exasperated things.

I just gotta raise my game. I've never been around children before having my own. It's a steep learning curve but I'm getting there.

With the school, we also did not go through their evaluators etc. and payed out of pocket to get an independent evaluation. Franlky I don't trust them to put our kid's best interest first, and I don't want a paper trail in their system. The school he goes to is rated #2 best in town, but it also has no faculty of color, he's one of maybe 3 black children in the school, the didn't qualify for preK because the majority of the families are very well off. Their standards are crazy high compared to the rest of the public school system. For example, they expect him to be writing three sentences with upper case/lower case, punctuation etc. and keep a journal and have 200 sight words down pact. At first, I was ok with "fake it till you make it" but it may not be enough.

In the meantime, we're looking at other schooling options. Ones with a more diverse staff and standards more in line with what's reasonable.

Times like this I wish we lived in Europe.