View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
anonymous_133347

I like this idea. We should all post our miracle routines and what works for us every time. This is my bare bones routine. I can embellish it and have been experimenting lately with a bunch of new products (FSG, other leave-in products, or swapping the KCCC for something else), but this works for me every time for soft, silky, defined hair.

Step 1: If it's a low poo day (I do this once a week), I low poo with either Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo or their Yucca Baobab one.

Step 1/2: Co-wash with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. (If I'm doing the scalp and not low pooing that day I'll massage the scalp in firm circular motions for roughly 2 minutes and then rinse out completely. Don't want any residue on that scalp of mine. Then...) I apply a generous palmful of conditioner to the rest of the hair 2/3 of the way down with a small dime size on the crown to combat frizz. Let it sit in my hair for at least 5 minutes for full penetration. If my hair is feeling dryer, I mix the TJ TTT with Shea Moisture's Restorative Conditioner. 50/50 mix and still has enough slip thanks to the TTT. Then I do my best to finger detangle but if I'm impatient I'll use a wide toothed comb. I comb very, very gently. Any areas that are super tangly or dry I'll apply more conditioner and pick apart the knots with my fingers. Then I rinse out completely.

Step 2/3: Get out and take about a quarter size of Kinky Curly Knot Today and mix it with either 3-4 drops jojoba oil, or 3-4 drops grapeseed oil for sealing. Apply all over the length of my dripping wet hair until my hair has the consistency of seaweed. I'm sure to get the crown and the inches past my scalp too. I also do my best to apply enough leave in the portions of my hair that are dryer like in the back and corners.

Step 3/4: Tilt my head forward, take a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt and and scrunch squeeze up towards the scalp to remove excess moisture and so my hair stops dripping.

Step 4/5: I divide my hair into three sections. Back, left, right. Take my KCCC and apply a modest amount to either hand. This is hard to quantify because of KCCC's consistency. It's sort of not runny but not gummy either. I'd say maybe a dime size? I just know when my hand feels coated enough. I smooth the product on my hair, gliding over it, then scrunch up. I start with the back, smoothing there, then I bring the back up to the front to join the other sections of my hair. Then slide on, scrunch up, left and right. Then I let it air dry. My hair air dries fast so no diffusing. If I can get away with it though I prefer to wash my hair at night because I prefer my second day hair. It's curlier for some reason. Maybe my hair doesn't like being washed. LOL!

Step 1: (Second day hair or third day hair! - I usually don't go for fourth because my exercise schedule poops on my party.)

Spritz hair with cold water until suitably damp. (I keep a spray bottle in the fridge.) Then gently comb with fingers areas that have gone to disarray. Take a bit of a refreshing product, either more KCCC, some of SM's curling smoothie or their curl & style milk, etc. Run through curls while I'm finger combing and scrunch up. For some reason adding a bit of extra product reactivates the hold of the old and just brings my curls back to life. Again I'm left with soft, shiny defined curls. (That's why I love KCCC so much even though gels with harder holds do work well. They just don't leave my hair soft and I really don't like crunch. Also whatever gelcast I get with KCCC unravels on its own. But I'm getting off topic.) My favorite refreshing product is SM's curling smoothie so far. I'm testing out the milk and it's good but the smoothie has a layer of hold that the milk ain't got. But because of the hold I have to be careful how much of the smoothie I use and dilute it a little. You'd think the milk would be the answer to my quandary there but so far the jury's out.

Wow. Now I've written a novel too!

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 02-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.
anonymous_133347 is offline   Reply With Quote