Feeling a certain way about a word doesn't change its meaning. A girl isn't a woman. Just because one is ok with being called both doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Sort of like that science meme. Science is still true even if you don't believe in it.
Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
I actually own a real dictionary. And according to that dictionary - 4. "girl - a man's or boy's sweetheart." 5. "a woman".
But regardless of what some dusty old dictionary says, my point is that I don't mind if someone calls me girl/babe/lady. It doesn't offend me. Last I knew I'm allowed to NOT be offended. Hard to tell nowadays when everyone is offended by everything.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Jeep, I don’t think RCC is saying you’re not entitled to your feelings on the matter. She’s just pointing out there is a context to words, our current society, that it might be helpful to be aware of. That’s all.

I do think your dictionary is out of date, however. It seriously says girl=woman? What’s the copyright on it? Dictionaries go out of date as language changes.

I could pull out a dictionary from 150 years ago and make some pretty strange assertions with it as my backup, know what I mean?

Calling one’s female love interest girl or my girl is increasingly rare. I cannot remember the last time I heard it used where it wasn’t being done so in jest. Eventually it will have the label “archaic” next to it in the dictionary and it will pass out of usage completely.

Good riddance, I say!

The first online dictionary I checked said this about it [II thought the usage note was especially interesting]:

girl [gurl]
noun
1. a female child, from birth to full growth.
2. a young, immature woman, especially formerly, an unmarried one.
3. a daughter: My wife and I have two girls.
4. Informal: Sometimes Offensive. a grown woman, especially when referred to familiarly: She's having the girls over for bridge next week.
5. girlfriend; sweetheart.

Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English gurle, girle, gerle child, young person; compare Old English gyrela, gi ( e ) rela, item of dress, apparel (presumably worn by the young in late OE period, and hence used as a metonym)

Can be confused: gal, girl (see usage note at the current entry).

Usage note
Just as many mature men, even young men, resent being referred to as boys, many adult women today are offended if referred to as girls, or the less formal gals. In business and professional offices, the practice of referring to one's secretary as the girl or my girl, as in I'll have my girl look it up and call you back, has decreased but not disappeared entirely. Such terms as the girls in reference to a group of women, girl or gal Friday in reference to a female secretary or assistant, and bachelor girl in reference to an unmarried woman are increasingly regarded as offensive, and working girl in the sense “a woman who works” is declining in use. See also lady, woman.

Last edited by wild~hair; 02-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.