Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #57
Fifi.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedachan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
They have to say alleged until the person is found guilty in a court of law or they could be sued for slander/libel.

$$$$$$$
Yes they do.

Liability risk = talk in circles.

Alleged is a large part of my daily work vocabulary.
I know, I know, but there are instances when it sounds dismissive of the crime or victim. Maybe it can't be helped, but I still hate the sound of it.
It can sound dismissive at times, and many it can't be helped. It's unreal what you can and can not say to people/about situations now.

*hope you read. i'm making it a bit shorter.*
Unrelated to news reports, but a crazy example... I can no longer say "get out of the house" if a person calls from inside a structure fire, due to an oddity/court case. I have to say, "If you feel it is safe to exit the house, do so" or.... in avoidance of liability for potential injury. It's one of those situations that is based on what the caller says, and how much time you have on the phone, which typically and understandably isn't a lot. There are so many variables, it's hard to explain, but sometimes- Get out- would be more than enough.

I feel like I am often dismissing people with my wording, in many ways, but I sincerely have to. People will often try to trick you into giving them permission to do or say something (not talking about fires here), and then place fault on you. You have to CYA, to the point of ridiculous. I often hate saying things, so I understand loathing hearing it.

** okay, I am done now, and sorry for the side track.

Last edited by Fifi.G; 02-24-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote