I have recently been experimenting with ways to get root and crown volume with some success (repeatable). Here is what I do if I want volume:
1. After smoothing on the RO, I use my wide tooth comb and comb my hair upside down. Then I flip back up and do the "baptism" rinse described in the Curly Girl Method. Then I take my comb or fingers and comb my top layers out straight away from my head. Then I flip back over and scrunch the condish in more. Lastly, I do a quick rinse upside down.
2. Scrunch wet hair upside down and side to side with flour sack towel.
3. Apply my FSG or Devacurl volizing mouse and scrunch scrunch scrunch upside down.
4. Apply my harder hold gel . Then scrunch with flour sack towel again.
5. Flip hair back up and back shaking it little side to side. At this point, I can feel the clumps standing up a bit from my head.
6. Plop for 15-30 minutes.
This is the step that I just added that has helped the most:
7. Diffuse using the pixie curl technique upside down and side to side. While doing a side, I also place the diffuser against the top side of my head, making sure that the hair is resting in a direction towards the top so the roots dry in a position where the hair is laying in the opposite direction it normally falls. Lastly, I partially flip my hair upside down so only the top layers in back are hanging upside down and place the diffuser against my scalp to dry the roots in the opposite direction.
Using this process I get similar results to using the CHS roller clamps without any curl disruption.
3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
RO/LI: YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG