I'm a former school administrator--Special Ed Sup and Elementary Principal, so may be coming from a different perspective.

Kindergarten is usually a time for students to adjust to being in the "big" school. It's more "academic" then it was when many of us were growing up. If the teacher is experienced and used to teaching students of that age, they are usually aware of skills that are typical/atypical. It could be that they are seeing the behavior, fine motor and speech issues together or separately--but not what they would expect at this point of the school year.

Most districts do not screen for speech issues until the students are a little older (because certain sounds are not developed until the students are older and will come in on their own without therapy.) However, a routine screening is usually done at a certain age (I've been retired for 8+ years.) If they are referring her, her speech and/or language must be below what they would expect for a child her age at this point of the year.

I live in PA. We've had a prereferral screening process in place for a LONG time. Parents are a part of that process--participate in the meetings, complete forms and receive the information that is collected by school staff. At that point, the school develops some interventions with the parents and implement them (behavior program, non special ed academic support available in the school, etc.) If the student is still having issues after that, formal evaluation process would be started.

As someone else said, the evaluation and services are costly and not done unless the school is truly concerned.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams