Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Amneris

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew and sew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post

As clever as that might have been, you just don't touch some things w/ a ten foot pole...unless you want to ruffle some feathers. Which the magazine did.
Agreed.

Anna - it's just a thought with very debatable legs. But again, using a Black African woman wouldn't work if that thought was actually in play.

What spiderlashes said about offense being present in the racist art form of it didn't cross my mind. If that's what people who're familiar with racist art like that are clearly seeing/it's unmistakable, then it's safe to say the thought doesn't apply.

The only way I assumed people were reacting to it was "so even when they want to honor Black African beauty they use a white woman, out of perception that her beauty is superior."

Which made me wonder if the shoot's team could have conceived of it like "here's a white woman who wants to capture Black African beauty." Western-idolizing behavior turned around. She's altering herself to fit the mold she's aspiring to. You couldn't send that message with a Black African model.
It might be similar to having the most lovely swastika in the world, embroidered with the finest silk thread onto the most glorious fabric...to showcase the beauty of the materials being used. But it's still a swatika. Materials and intention and craftship be damned. You just don't go there.
LOL, the swastika actually was an ancient eastern symbol before the Nazis co-opted it, so you DO actually see beautiful embroidered swastikas in art and stuff from those cultures that use it with a different meaning. I remember being taken aback as a kid going into an Asian store and seeing the place just loaded with swastikas. But I take your point.

Amneris is offline   Reply With Quote