Thread: Leggings
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #47
Amneris

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
What are people calling leggings when you wear a long top over them? It would seem to me the leggings are acting as pants or are they acting as tights? 'Confused'.

When wearing leggings, there are some dos and don'ts that can mean the difference between fashion plate and fashion victim.
Do layer leggings under pieces that are long enough to cover your behind.
Don't wear leggings with short tops. Think of them as tights, not stretchy pants.
Do keep it simple: Black leggings are the most elegant, and they match everything.
Don't choose leggings in bright colors or wild patterns unless you're a teenager. Neutral shades are much more sophisticated and flattering.
Do choose a length that flatters. "Be sure to pick a pair that stops at the thinnest part of your calf," advises Misty Elliot, spokesperson for Spanx. "For most women, leggings look best in longer lengths."
Don't wear leggings that stop above the middle of the calf: This faux pas makes legs look shorter.

And then this:

A thousand times we've heard the saying "leggings are NOT pants." We've laughed at celebrities who have worn them out in public, and winced at women wearing them horribly while walking on the street. But I, a little ol' blogger from small-town Connecticut, am here to tell you that times are a changin' and the no-leggings ban is OVER. Yup, dunzo. El fin. Leggings as pants is now a real thing. I swear.

Before you yell at me and throw your half-finished mug of lukewarm coffee at the computer screen, just hear me out. I promise, if done the right way, you can get away with wearing leggings all the time. That is, as long as you have a whole slew of different pairs and they're thick enough not to become see-through over your booty.

5 Ways Real Women Can Wear Leggings as Pants Without Looking Ridiculous (PHOTOS) | The Stir

Because I have seen some awful things at malls, restaurants, even in my own mirror, it's time to issue this reminder:

Leggings are not pants. Which means they should never be worn as pants.

I don't care if you're thin and toned and men tell you that you look great.

I don't care if you're dressing for comfort because you'll be spending the afternoon shopping at Meijer.

I don't care if your legging-loving 5-year-old daughter wants you to wear them so the two of you can be twinsies.

Leggings have a tendency to be quite revealing -- or as Tim Gunn, fashion guru once told me, "horrifying" and "vulgar."

Most people don't want to see your every crack and crevice, bump and bulge, wiggle and jiggle.

And do you really want them to see all that anyway?

"You see these ... girls in their little Lululemons with little kind of flowy crop tops. Once you start getting out of your teens, you just kind of look a little silly," says Angela Wisniewski, a Ferndale stylist.

Says Rachel Lutz, owner of the Peacock Room, a women's clothing store in Detroit: "There's certainly no excuse for grown women to do it.

"Maybe it's laziness. Maybe it's a misunderstanding. Maybe they ... think it's a cute trend." But, adds Lutz, who sells a small selection of leggings in her store: "It's not a trend. It's a faux pas."

The good thing about leggings is that when they're not worn as pants, they can accommodate a variety of body types and look appropriate on women all across the age spectrum.

Here's how to look good in leggings:

• Realize that just as leggings aren't pants, tights aren't leggings. So don't even be tempted.

• Realize the legging-style bottoms you wear for exercise are most likely not appropriate for work.

• Never wear leggings that are the same color as your skin; you will look naked.

• You, me and everyone we know is best off with black leggings because they're classic. In many cases, they will slim your silhouette by elongating your leg. If you're bold, try red leggings, paired with knee-high black boots and a black top that covers your backside. The combo could be quite striking -- in a good way.

• Make sure your leggings aren't so tight or so sheer that dimpled thighs or knees show through. At the same time, make sure they aren't so loose that they bag at the knees or anywhere else.

• Wear an over-sized top to balance the ultra-skinniness of your leggings -- and to hide any belly flab you might have.

• Make sure your top not only covers your backside, but also comes to at least mid-thigh. Otherwise your leggings will be too revealing.

Here's an easy way to determine whether your top is long enough: Stand up and keep your arms at your side. If your top is as long as your fingertips, you're in good shape. If it's not that long, take it off and try something else.

Beware of sweaters with asymmetrical or handkerchief hems. I was wearing one with a pair of leggings. I thought I was well-covered -- until I realized the right side of my sweater was considerably shorter than the left, revealing a lot more thigh than I wanted.

• Leggings look best with knee-high boots.

• Shoes can interrupt the long line of your leg and make you look stumpy. And pumps with leggings, well, those have a tendency to look a little sleezy.

Worn properly, leggings are a cozy, comfortable fashion staple that can be worn in any casual setting and, depending on how you accessorize, take you from day to evening.

Unfortunately, there is trouble on the horizon.

Media reports indicate that leggings for men (meggings) are popular in Europe and heading this way.

Link for pics:
The case against leggings for most of us and how to wear them, if you must | Georgea Kovanis | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Dang, this is a lot of focus on other peoples' bodies. Who cares if the perfect among us don't like to see others "jiggle" or see their "belly flab?" Who determines what is "too revealing?" It's called living in society - suck it up! I personally only wear leggings with very long, thigh-length tops or with dresses, and only in casual situations, because that's my comfort level, but if others are comfortable wearing them differently, how is that anyone else's concern?

Amneris is offline   Reply With Quote