You definitely didn't do anything wrong. It might be that you're low porosity and the stuff isn't penetrating the way it should. Also it might be because it's so moisture rich it's weighing down you hair. Maybe you'll have to use the milk as a rinseout. I also hate it when something that works for so many other people doesn't work for me. I'm all "What the hell?" For instance, hard hold gels. I'd like to encourage a tighter curl pattern (my underlayer is more 3b and I'd want the rest of my hair to do that) but my hair just hates them. I've been trying to use Aussie Instant Freeze and on other people it's light and they can put it in dry hair even. With me even a little bit gives me crunch and makes my hair look wet and producty. I was able to use it once semi successfully and never again. I don't know what's going on there. And my hair is highly porous. It usually absorbs product.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG