I have been rotating conditioners depending on if I need protein or not (and how much I need). I use Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner as a rinse-out when I need protein, but I found I can only use it three days in a row before my hair goes a little crazy. I don't get the straw-like sensation from protein overload, it's just that I have some strands that go into tight corkscrews with a lot of protein. The rest of my hair is wavy, so I just end up with a bunch of random hairs sticking out of the top of my head in tight kork screws and it ends up looking like a ton of frizz. I don't know why some strands are such over achievers.

So yeah, I rotate a protein heavy conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB or sometimes Nature's Gate Tea Tree calming conditioner) with a protein-free conditioner. Right now I'm loving Yes To Carrots Pampering conditioner for that.

I am still experimenting though. I had a $100 WalMart gift card as part of a promotion, and I kind of used it to buy just about every CG conditioner WalMart sells online... Perhaps someday I'll find a single conditioner that has the right balance for everyday usage!
2b/c, high density
fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
loves protein, hates polyquats
still searching for HGs