I haven't heard anyone around here mention that their doctors don't accept patients on medicare (not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't know of any). My parents have never had an issue with their doctors, but they did have problems with the local hospital and had to use a hospital 30 miles away for awhile. It was ridiculous.
The entire health care system needs overhauled top to bottom.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
I have lupus and fibro and have 2 drs who dont accept medicare and 1 doesnt accepts HMO's. he's also what's known as a concierge dr. I pay a fee to use him as my dr and he bills my insurance.
Somethings needs to be done thats for sure. I pay about 20k a year in copays deductibles etc.
Originally Posted by crimsonshedemon
Is that like a retainer for an attorney? Interesting arrangement. But an expense you should not have to pay just because you or a loved one has a serious disease. So that supports curlypearl's original point (which I didn't mean to guano - quite sorry) about doctors refusing to accept Medicare.

You bring up several excellent points. First of all, the insurance premiums are only part of the equation, since there's a minimum you have to hit before insurance kicks in, and even then there's still co-payments for everything from doctor's visits and exams to prescriptions.

I talk to a lot of sick people who have non-textbook problems. They have a lot of problems even with the canadian, australian, and uk systems. No system is ideal. It seems those with acute health issues have a more positive experience than those with chronic issues.
Healthcare should not be amount large profit margins for the admin (cant think of the word havent slept in 2 days) while family drs are barely getting by. It's a mess
But at least you don't have to postpone medical care because you can't afford a) the cost of care and b) to miss work, since you don't have legally mandated sick leave. As a result, many people don't see a doctor until they're seriously sick, at which point the cost of treatment is much higher than it would have been early on, and many other people have been exposed to illness.

BTW, administrative costs are far higher for private insurers compared to Medicare (12% versus 2%). In addition, people on Medicare and Veterans Administration health care, both of which are government-run, are much more satisfied with their quality of care than people on private insurance,

i would just like to add that my marginal tax rate would probably cause all of you to go:

but i've had 3 surgeries in the past 20 years, including one with serious complications, and walked into and out of the hospital without a penny changing hands, no credit cards, no bills.

my sister and i got money BACK from the Quebec health system after my father died - his cancer care cost us nothing. the same with mom's spinal surgery last fall.
Originally Posted by rouquinne

Yes, taxes are considerably higher in countries with universal health care. On average, the French pay 47% in income and payroll taxes (!). But that covers college education, job training, child and elder care etc. in addition to health care. So if you start adding that stuff up, I'd bet most Americans are paying more than their Canadian, European and Australian counterparts.

And they don't have the stress of wading through paperwork and bills when you're dealing with the emotional trauma of a serious illness.

How do you get money back? Is that for survivor benefits?