View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
fpmonkee11

Default Pretty scared right now- possible melanoma? UPDATE: Good news!

So last fall, I had a mini-freakout about all of my moles. I counted over 60, many of which look quite irregular. They had not changed at all though, so I remained mostly calm.

I tried to make a derm appt, but with my dad's insurance (forgot to mention, I'm a 20 y.o. college student), we have to see the family practitioner first to get a referral. Well after I did that, we found out the derm will not see new patients on Fridays (the only weekday I am ever home from college). With all the factors that were working against me, after the family practitioner said everything looked okay, I abandoned my effort.

Fast forward to last night, when I decided to check a mole that I never get to see (hint: it's on lady parts). Well, it is pretty obviously darker, and maybe a little bit bigger. It does resemble some melanomas that I've seen pics of. It is not raised, does not itch or hurt, but seeing that change really freaked me out.

To top it all off, our family doctors changed, so the previous referral is not any good now. I must once again see our family dr, then get a referral for the derm. This will not likely happen in the one week I will be home for spring break.

I've made an appt for a mole check with my college's health center, and I'm hoping they can give me a referral or something. My dad's insurance is extremely picky, so I don't know what they will accept or not.

I am pretty terrified right now. I know this cancer does happen in young people, and it can be deadly. There is so much going on in my life right now, I'm not sure if I can handle this.

Any advice or anything at all would be welcome. I'm just really needing some reassurance right now. Thanks.

Last edited by fpmonkee11; 03-14-2013 at 07:43 PM.
fpmonkee11 is offline   Reply With Quote