I got an "emo hair" hair cut a few years ago...so stupid of me! It only looked good while straight, and when curly I had a "shelf". Short on top, long-ish on the bottom, and when shrinkage set in, it was basically mushroom shaped. It grew out and was starting to look a bit better but I was sick of it and had it evened out just enough to not sacrifice too much length. (I've got slow growing hair, unfortunately.)

Now it's grown back a bit more but it looks like there's a few strands that are longer than the rest of it. My hair is a smidge past chin-length when the curls are stretched, and the long strands just about touch my shoulders when stretched. I plan to go back when my hair grows out a bit more so I can have those strands cut back to the same length as the rest of it. I may look like Murderface, but at least I won't have those awkward bits just hanging there while the rest of my hair has yet to catch up.
Attached Thumbnails
Styling nightmares -- what's yours?-emmescenehair.jpg   Styling nightmares -- what's yours?-mermaidtail.jpg   Styling nightmares -- what's yours?-mermaidtail2.jpg  
3C, almost shoulder length (when stretched). Low Porosity, Protein Sensitive.
Low Poo: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
Shampoo: Proclaim Olive Glossing Shampoo
RO: Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cleansing Co-Wash
LI: Proclaim Olive Glossing Condish
Oils: JBCO, EVOO, Grapeseed Oil
Styling: Fantasia IC Hair Polisher
DC: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm