I would suggest that you comb your hair in the shower, while you have conditioner on it. Then, after whatever type of rinse you do (I use the sprinkle rinse, which is also called the Baptismal rinse), squeeze all the excess water you can out of your hair with your fists. This should leave the right amount of water in your hair to help you distribute your styling products. So don't put a towel over your hair when you get out of the shower.

When you put the styling products in, squish them in really well. (It should sound like you're walking through mud.) I try to do that for about as long as it would take me to walk one city block on an uncrowded sidewalk. After that, I wait until my low porosity hair no longer feels producty, until it feels like I've got nothing but water on it, then I scrunch excess water out with a smooth surfaced towel (an old dishtowel can work well for this if you don't have a flour sack towel or microfiber towel) or T-shirt. Scrunch your hair some more, then lower your head onto your plopping towel or T-shirt (a fresh, dry one), scrunch in the sides and back so they curl too, and secure the T-shirt or towel so that it will stay in place.

People vary as to how long they plop. For me, because I like to wash my hair before going to bed, I have had good luck plopping overnight. More recently, I've been sort of plopping my hair without securing it. I put a towel over my pillow, then when I lay down, I make sure that all the hair I don't need to be lying on is loose and free above my head, and scrunch up the hair on which my head will be laying (the back and sides), so that it's in a curled position. Some people find that whatever time it takes to brush their teeth and do their faces is plenty; others need more.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008