I'm allergic to Biotera gel, too. Never did figure it out, but thought it might be Propylene Glycol. It's a common allergy.

Best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, you should look for someone with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's the best place to start.

I try to use the more natural products. My hair doesn't care for chemicals, especially polyquats. Biotera gel has 4 pretty high up on the ingredients list. Another thing to do is rotate products. My hair always satiated on product, even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use the same thing more then once in five days. If you don't use a product too much, it seems to help with the allergies, too.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams