The float test is notoriously unreliable. You need to do the test where you run your fingers from tip to root. If it slips and, possibly squeaks, it's low porosity.

I was going by the length in your avatar. Possibly frequent trims would help.

You're using some products with polyquats. Maybe if you try not using them after you shampoo--see what happens. While I'm told that they don't build up, for me, they seemed to "coat" my hair and cause frizz when wet. Haven't had that problem since I've eliminated them.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Kathy, wait, what test is that? (Is there a post or a video on it? I'm not sure if you mean to pinch the hair between two fingers, or just to run the fingers up -- or down -- the strands?) I'll totally do that.

Hear you on the trims, but not an option at $135/pop and trying to grow my long hair back after a disastercut. Anyway, it's the top of the hair that gets really dry, more than the bottom; ends aren't super split.

Label-reading newbie question: Are all polyquats listed as polyquats on labels, or is there stuff with different kinds of names that are polyquats? I will look out for that, thank you!
--
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)