I am a few months into CG, and have spent a ton of money on products thinking they would help me attain "perfect hair". As a PJ, I love to buy and try new things....but having had a full week of perfect hair every day, with a wide range of dew points (I'm in Florida- so we had a "cold" front with dews in the high 40's, and a "warm" front with dews in the high 60's)....I have finally realized that MY good hair has more to do with technique than products. Every day I have used a different mix of products, never the same, and my hair has looked good ALL week. I am ecstatic!

I guess what I'm trying to say to all the newbies- is work on your technique....and the products are just icing on the cake.

I have a mix of curl types and textures on my head. I have realized that although I *thought* maybe my hair was coarse when I first started, it is actually on the normal side, with some fine parts, and coarse grays, and my density is normal. I also think I'm normal to high porosity.

Until I started CG, I was a FRIZZ BALL. I learned how to condition properly here. I was scared to death of protein b/c again I thought my hair was coarse. After reading and reading, I decided to do IAGirls protein treatment using gelatin with FANTASTIC results.

My "technique" is this (sounds longer than it really is):
Cowash or Low poo (2x/week) with head upside down (helps with keeping loose hairs off your bod!)
Other days just water rinse
Apply dime-sized amount of leave-in OR Jojoba oil and comb with a wide tooth in the shower to detangle and distribute product
Blot with microfiber towel so that it is still a little drippy, dry off my body
Apply EITHER Curl Keeper (3 sections with a dime sized blob) OR any one of my Curl enhancing creams (one dime size blob); smooth on top and bottom of hair, then scrunch in well
Brush with Denman to distribute and form clumps
Brush crown out & away (thanks Rudeechick)
Scrunch in EITHER mousse, jelly, or gel product. I use a fair amount here, and split hair into 3 sections (Right, left, back): a quarter sized blob of gel, 3-finger dip of jelly, or a golf ball size blob of mousse per section).
Apply a pea-sized amount of gel/ small squirt of mousse or a single finger dip of jelly, rub hands together, and smooth over canopy
Plop for no more than 10 minutes
Diffuse til crunchy but not 100% dry
Scrunch in a little more gel or gelly (like pea-sized) on ends and face framing layers only
Let air dry until I get to work or diffuse til dry
SOTC with Jane Carter Nourish and Shine

I still haven't mastered second day hair, but I have so much fun doing my hair that I enjoy the daily refresh. I will say, that I would have been able to walk out without wetting my hair the past couple mornings, but didn't go for it.

I hope this helps someone.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip

Last edited by chloe92us; 03-25-2013 at 12:20 PM.