Here are some general tips I've picked up, some of them on these boards, that really have helped me.
1. Be consistent. A product isn't going to make a difference with one use, or even a couple uses. Zits don't actually develop over night. It takes time to develop, and it takes time to clear them up.
2. Don't do anything that damages the skin barrier. So, no harsh scrubs or anything. I know they're tempting, but they're harmful.
3. Don't do anything that really dries out your skin--your face should never have that tight feeling. EVER. If it's dry it'll overproduce oil to compensate and make you break out even more. It's a vicious cycle that so many acne products are SO drying.
4. Pay attention to things that aren't skin-deep. How's your diet? How much water do you drink?
5. Make sure you wash your face BEFORE you exercise/sweat if you're wearing any makeup. And also immediately after, regardless of what's on your face. This is just one of the reasons you need some super gentle non-drying face wash...you can't use the harsh stuff this often!
6. There's really only a few ingredients in any acne products. Salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide are in most drug store brands. You can also find tea tree oil, sulfur, and glycolic acid, more often in more upscale brands. So don't just go buying products all willy-nilly...you don't need 10 different salicylic acid products!
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON