For the most part i say im just Black, but people insist im mixed...which technically i am, but only by my ancestry. But aren't we all??

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by SmilingElephant
Do you live in the US? I have come to the conclusion that perceptions about who is black and who is not has a lot do with culture. myself and family are light and freckled. Some have blue or hazel eyes, and some of my mom's siblings could almost pass, but we've always considered ourselves black without question. Yes we know we're Scot-Irish, Choctaw and African descent but my last white ancestor died right after the CW. The plantation was a long time ago. But when I talk my friends who are from Latin America, they all argue me down insisting I'm not black. I think the difference is in the US, in order to make Jim Crow work, whites supremicists made it if you are even a little black then you're black aka one drop rule. In Latin America it seems the general feeling is if you are even a little anything other than black then you are not black. Not saying everyone thinks this way but that has been my experience. My dad couldn't believe it when I told him people were telling me I'm not black. Not just Latin America. I saw a lady on YT who looks like me who said she went to Namibia and they told her she wasn't black. She was hurt because she was expecting this "return to the motherland experience."
I think the big problem with stereotyping of how "mixed" people look or even what kind of hair they have is that genetics can be tricky. So someone who has a parent of a different race may not look the stereotype while someone with an ancestor from 200 years ago does.

According to Dr. Henry Gates
58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one great-grandparent);
19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent);
1 percent of African Americans have at least 50 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one parent); and
5 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent Native American ancestry (equivalent to one great-grandparent).
Originally Posted by Ayedee
But then, this is the problem for me. People do not accept the diversity of biracial people. My Father is white, my Mother black and I most definitely I.D as biracial, not black or white. Yet, because I have full lips, a button nose and my skin is a little more tanned than some other mixed people, people INSIST I am black, or that I shouldn't 'bother' I.D as mixed because I look black. As it bothers black people to be told they're mixed or must be mixed, it bothers me to be told I must ID as black because I 'look' black. I think I clearly look mixed. I don't feel black, and biracial people are not all very fair with golden-brown hair and green eyes. This is just my take on it, though, as a biracial person. It's made me insecure. I am what I am, and I am sick of people trying to shove me in a box I don't belong to.
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmenCurly
CCC, is it that people can't look at you and tell you're biracial that bothers you? I'm looking at your pic and would I assume you had a non-black parent if I saw you walking down the street? Truthfully, no. What is considered "clearly" is subjective. I have heard people say Halle Berry looks clearly biracial but I had no idea for the longest time. I would hope you wouldn't hold it against me if I couldn't tell, but if you told me you were biracial I wouldn't insist you were just black. That's wrong.