View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Saria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
I have a packet sat in the cupboard doing nothing as I can't seem to get it right either. Last time I tried it was really gluggy and left a weird aftertaste, don't think I washed it at all though.
Really want to try a sweet recipe.
http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/...thful-sundays/

I prefer to cook my quinoa in all water and finish with heavy cream in this one. I add heavy cream when the quinoa is just about done, let it warm up and thicken a little, then spoon a touch more when I have a serving. I also salt it of course:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...oa-recipe.html

In truth I prefer grains like millet, oats, amaranth, and bulgur to quinoa. I think texturally they're a bit more interesting and I also like the flavor more The biggest draw with quinoa is that it's a complete protein, which other grains can't boast. Amaranth is close to being a complete protein, though.
And teff is no slouch:

Quote:
Teff leads all the grains – by a wide margin – in its calcium content, with a cup of cooked teff offering 123 mg, about the same amount of calcium as in a half-cup of cooked spinach. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin C, a nutrient not commonly found in grains.

Teff was long believed to be high in iron, but more recent tests have shown that its iron content comes from soil mixed with the grain after it’s been threshed on the ground – the grain itself is not unusually high in iron.

Teff is, however, high in resistant starch, a newly-discovered type of dietary fiber that can benefit blood-sugar management, weight control, and colon health. It’s estimated that 20-40% of the carbohydrates in teff are resistant starches. A gluten-free grain with a mild flavor, teff is a healthy and versatile ingredient for many gluten-free products.

Since teff’s bran and germ make up a large percentage of the tiny grain, and it’s too small to process, teff is always eaten in its whole form. It’s been estimated that Ethiopians get about two-thirds of their dietary protein from teff. Many of Ethiopia’s famed long-distance runners attribute their energy and health to teff.