My top layer gets dry too. So does my right and back side. So I add extra oils to problem sections when I deep treat. Yes, my highly porous hair likes certain proteins too but I have to play carefully because too much of it will upset my coarseness. Oh balancing acts. It's okay. . . at least I understand my hair now.

"I figured since I stopped dying my hair that it should be normal to low porosity."

Yeah me too. That is why I was shocked when I learned my hair was highly porous and thought oh dear it must be very damaged. But honestly my hair is ridiculously healthy. It does get dry with this arid weather but it's naturally dry and I can always chase the dryness away with some natural oils and rich emollients. I don't get split ends or breakage. I'm just porous. As are you. And we have nothing to be ashamed of!
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG