View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
RedCatWaves

With my second baby, I had some serious latch issues in the first few days and ended up with severely damaged nipples...also known as hamburger. I had to take many weeks off of nursing to get them to heal. I pumped during that time, but my milk diminished and my baby learned to love the bottle, so going back to nursing was a real challenge. It took a few weeks of patience and working to getting him to nurse more and bottlefeed less, but I did evenentually get back on nursing full-time. Patience patience patience. I would nurse first and kinda force him to stay there for at least 5 minutes on each breast before I would allow him to finish off with the bottle. I would also pump after he was done to try to stimulate a little more milk for the next feeding. Slow drip nipples on the bottle help too. It helps to have a supportive partner. And please do consult a lactation consultant. She may have some tricks for you to try. Good luck! It can be done. Adoptive mothers can nurse, and so can you!
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote