Hi, Neleke! I'm sooo not an expert but here it my two cents. If the dews are in the 40s and 50s that's the optimal curl range. Usually this is the range that people can use more humectants not have the them steal moisture from the hair or slurp it from the atmosphere either, right? Then again it might be that this product has been drying your hair out over time and is only starting to show its true colors now. So I suspect it is more the styling product than the dye. If your hair never reacted adversely to the dyeing before then I don't see why it should now unless your hairdresser botched it. Seems unlikely. Don't worry. You're not killing your hair. If you've gone CG and are doing all these nice things for it then it is much healthier overall. I think it is important to use a lot of conditioner to keep it hydrated when you wash it but what is more important is what you are using to style. Mousses tend to be very drying because of the propellant that in them that makes them foam.

So are these the ingredients in the silk & gloss mousse:

Studio Line Silk & Gloss - Studio Line Silk & Gloss Mousse Volume | L'Oréal Paris

WITH SILK MICRO-FIBRES (HYDROLYSED SILK) 1082253 -
INGREDIENTS:
AQUA, GLUCOSE, ISOBUTANE, BUTANE, PROPANE, BENZYL A L C O H O L , C H O N D R U S C R I S P U S (CARRAGEENAN), DECYL GLUCOSIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, XYLOSE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, LINALOOL, HYDROLYZED SILK LIMONENE, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL D R U S C R I S P U S (CARRAGEENAN), DECYL GLUCOSIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, XYLOSE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, LINALOOL, HYDROLYZED SILK LIMONENE, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, CITRONELLOL, AMYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM, (FIL K38007/4).

So I see some drying ingredients here. Isobutane, propane, but also a whole lotta stuff I do not recognize at all (read: chemicals). Hydrolyzed silk and glucose are humectants which can dry out your hair or cause frizz if you're sensitive to them in certain dews. (Funny though because you're in the optical dew range but curly hair has a mind of its own.) Decyl glucoside I think is actually a mild surfactant that helps cleanse the hair so maybe that could be potentially drying to leave in your hair over time. But back to the chemicals I don't recognize. I ran the product through the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database's product report and it came out a 6/10 which on the high end of moderate hazard to your health. Just letting you know. Also benzyl alcohol, while naturally occurring, is really iffy in high concentrations and it's the second ingredient.

Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

The reason I mention this is because I think the primary reason why my hair is very healthy right now (and this is just me, but it's my opinion) is not only because I've gone CG but because I've gone natural. I try to use products with fewer synthetic ingredients. I think it's better for the health of my hair (being facetious because I know hair is dead) and my body overall. Many unnatural products tend to make my hair frizz and dry it out in unusual ways. My hair is very sensitive. But then it is highly porous.

That is another thing. Does your hair feel dry or does it feel mushy and flyaway? Trying to determine if it's in need of more moisture or if it is overconditioned. If you've tried three gelatin treatments and they are not having an effect then I'm thinking the former. And that might not be from too much protein but your mousse drying you out.

Maybe you should try gently clarifying with cocobetaine to get rid of any traces of chemicals and then go to the drugstore and experiment with a slightly more natural styling product. I know there are more natural styling mousses too like Jane Carter wrap & roll. I can't remember where you are exactly, Neleke, but aren't you in Europe? You should check out iherb and contact aqua_lily for product recommendations. I know you don't know your exact properties yet but if you suspect you're fine she's fine too. How long til you receive your hair analysis, you think? I would also hold off on the gelatin treatments for a bit to see if that helps. Just keep it as simple as possible.

HTH.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 04-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.