It is frustrating, but I think we have to acknowledge that women still seem to garner the majority of their "power" and influence through their looks. I see it in my daughter. She's 15 and just starting to feel the power of her young beauty over men. It is POWERFUL stuff. And it can go to one's head. I think we're all guilty of using (and sometimes abusing) that power as women. I don't know the answer or cure for this problem.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I beg to differ. I have never used looks to get anything accomplished or to get my way. If anything, I always dress down and try to draw attention away from my looks
Originally Posted by sKorpio1190
Even if you didn't use it intentionally, you probably have benefitted from gender beauty privilege. It's like white privilege...It's always there.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves

I don't think it's a privilege in the same way white privilege is, though. For one thing, it attaches to the inferior gender, and is generally used in a way that actually devalues the person even though in the short-term it may seem like getting superficial male attention is a "privilege." Yes, certain types of looks can be more successful in gaining romantic relationships and the perks that come with them, and they may even draw enough attention to get someone through the door to a job interview or offer, but not all women will get this privilege all the time and those of certain races, or ages, or weights, or body types, will not get it to the same extent as others, and even the ones who get it will eventually age or get pregnant or gain weight or whatever so that they lose the privilege.

Also, looks alone are unlikely to keep or advance you in a significant job - they enhance other skills and qualifications, or are of use only in jobs that don't really need qualifications. And women who take advantage of their looks, or are perceived to be doing so, are subject to negative treatment. And the constant competition about looks is really divisive amongst women and creates a lot of insecurity since women are never sure if they are "pretty enough", even if others think so. So I don't think we can call it a privilege. It's more like the perception some have that people of colour have an advantage in hiring because of affirmative action - any tiny, temporary advantage there may be is more than set off by all the negatives and the remaining discrimination. And of course, a woman of colour who may be perceived as pretty still has to deal with all the racial BS.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali