I think it might be the length and/or style that's keeping you from loving your curls. I also feel most people look better with their natural texture. But I also think lots of people happen to look good with multiple textures. If you want looser curls (closer to waves) I recommend raking product in downwards and not scrunching up at all. And then you might try using double pronged curl clips at the ends of your curls to elongate them as they dry. Also added length will definitely help loosen your curl. You might want to try hair, skin, nail vitamins. I just started taking them and my nails are growing pretty fast so I'm assuming it must be helping my hair too. (Hard to tell due to shrinkage.) But I gave some to my mother at the same time and she reported that the bangs that she'd cut herself grew back in a week.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG