When my hair got over-proteined, I had to strictly avoid protein for a few months and concentrate on moisture, moisture, moisture. After that my hair recovered pretty well and I could start adding a little protein every so often. I just have to make sure I don't use it more than 2 or 3 times a month. My hair can tolerate keratin protein best and soy 2nd best. I do best with a protein free regimen, but my hair just curls up so great after a light protein treatment that I can't get myself to cut it out completely. I have had the best luck with Jessicurl, Darcy's Botanicals, and Curl Junkie as long as the products I get are the ones without protein. I also love KCCC mixed 50/50 with Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic moisturizing jelly as my go-to styler. I should also mention that I have to avoid protein, but I do fine with the protein analogues (like Kelp, coconut, wheat germ, etc).
3a, baby fine i/ii, low to normal porosity, protein sensitive
Mod CG since 5/12, from rainy Western WA
dislikes: glycerin, wheat protein
Poo: Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
Cond: CJCR, VO5 Clarifying Conditioner
LI: JC WDT, CJ CR
Style: Loma Curvature Curvy Cream, True Polaris Protein Free Truly curly styling gel (Etsy), Sweet Curls flax seed defining gel (Etsy)