Dancing in African cultures focuses on the pelvis area because that is seen as the spiritual centre of the body (which it is... life and pleasure come from there) - it isn't necessary sexual, for God's sake. It is a skill to isolate and move that area. It is an area that is not the focus of European-based dances. So in typical ethnocentric fashion, those of European descent assume that African dancing is "sexual" and because sexual = bad, unless expressed under tight controls or in a way they deem is OK, African dancing is "bad." It's absolutely racist. Then African dancing is denigrated as "booty shaking" and banned or subject to controls... but dancing of European-based people will poach and modify African moves with impunity, and after they get mainstream enough, suddenly they're fine and Europeans will even claim to be experts in it.

It's just dancing. It isn't a reflection on peoples' morals or character or sex lives or behaviour. It's a positive enjoyment of your own body and the body of others and a way to keep healthy and fit and like yourself. Why the hell would you punish anyone for it?
Originally Posted by Amneris
You have kids now. You'll be ok with them grinding on girls at middle school dances? Because they're just celebrating life?
Originally Posted by CGNYC
In this case, I thought it was mostly girls on girls. But that's my whole point. "Grinding on" someone doesn't necessarily mean you're trying to have sex with them or are turned on by them or want to turn them on. It can, but it can also just be an expression of fun or your acknowledgement of their inherent sexual power for its own sake or whatever.

If my kids did that with other kids their age who were willing participants and wanted to do it and were enjoying it, I would raise holy hell if they got suspended and banned from not only prom but commencement (seriously? they can't even receive their diplomas and awards in front of family because they did a dance?) What I'd probably tell them is that certain people are uptight and will read stuff into their dancing that isn't there so they're better off not to do it when they're not in a friendly crowd, but no, that isn't my major concern of all the things my kids might do.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali