After reading this thread I was convinced I needed protein and got some gpb. Wrong! My hair is now practically straight! It is very soft except for the ends which are a bit fried. I'm a bit confused now. Can I be both over conditioned and proteined? This balance game is driving me nuts. Hope it works better for y'all!
Originally Posted by artcurls
Is your signature up to date? Looks like you have some cones in there, even if they don't build up they can block out anything from penetrating. Why did you protein two days straight? Could be the combination of protein, heavy conditioners and cones are building up on your hair - AFAIK what people refer to as overconditioning is not the same as simply needing to clarify. Or could be because you didn't deep condition after the protein treatments.
Originally Posted by Firefox7275
Don't know about 'cones, but your products have polyquats and mineral oil--Heaven in Hair (polyquats 7 and 10), NoPoo (polyquat 7) and Joico K-Pak (mineral oil.) All cause issues for me. I'm told that the polyquats don't build up, but I need a pretty strong surfactant to remove them. There are some people who can use mineral oil, but most of us stay away from it. As firefox said, something may be coating your hair and not letting in the moisture. My guess would be the polyquats and mineral oil.

Although I use really rich products, I can't use the SM Coconut & Hibiscus. It too heavy--if you get the difference. It just sits on my hair and doesn't absorb.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams