Wow. And it does a 2 fold job: cleans & condition? Does it have a gentle cleanser in it? I'm anxious to try the Shea moisture line because I do believe the have a cleansing co wash.
Originally Posted by curlicious13
Depends on your definition of moisturising/ conditioning. Cationic surfactants are extremely versatile ingredients, but ultimately the are a type of surfactant, just as sulphates are anionic surfactants. Cationics can act as super gentle cleansers, they are emulsifiers, they can lightly deposit on the hair to fill in any damaged parts, they can provide a feeling of 'slip' by reducing friction when brushing or combing or detangling, act as weak humectants. The precise properties depends on the exact surfactant - for actual conditioning I like behentrimonium methosulphate, it give me amazing 'slip'.

And obviously the pH of the product is relevant, just being acidic (hair likes pH 4.5) can help 'seal' the cuticle which is why dilute vinegar can make your hair feel silky and conditioned. Traditional soaps tend to be alkaline, shampoos tend to be neutral and conditioners tend to be acidic but each product is different. Bear in mind the pH scale is logarithmic, the difference between 4.5 and 5.5 is a factor of ten, between 4.5 and 6.5 is a factor of one hundred!

Ingredients for Inecto are "water, cetearyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, coconut oil, fragrance, magnesium nitrate, methylchloro-isothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid."

Emboldened are the cationic surfactants, they are the things that lightly foam and that cleanse. There is nothing in there that will build up or hardcore 'moisturise' AFAIK, no polyquats or heavy fatty alcohols or mineral oil or silicones. The amount of coconut oil seems to me very small, it's not a rich/ heavy/ greasy product whatsoever. It gives me slip for detangling and keeps the cuticle closed enough to hold most of my colour in and my hair does not pouf as it does with ALL shampoos I have tried. But is not hydrating enough for my porous, damaged hair as an actual conditioner. That is fine for my tastes - I want clean hair especially roots when I am done washing without the feeling of being 'stripped'.

ETA http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...-care-products
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 05-08-2013 at 06:09 AM.