I don't think product use and brushing is that harmful, i think the pulling of the bun and lack of deep conditioning is. Also, it sounds like her scalp is oily and she would have to shower every few days. Besides, her hair is 2b. I don't think it'll be that unruly when she conditions it more.
Originally Posted by rainboe
Tell that to my hair! Box dye absolutely did not help, but it was not the dye that caused all the breaks around my face nor the crop at the back exactly where the ponytail elastic sat. It was bad enough my hairdresser guessed I wore a pony the first time I went to her. I used to get breakage all through my ponytail when I went through a phase of finger combing and twirling it a lot, now I only get split ends in one tiny section ... and it's the patch that I still twirl the ends of.

I couldn't understand why my hair was so damaged, I really did not think I was that harsh on my hair until I started researching. Box dye I've been doing for many years before the mechanical damage really accumulated and have continued with it since going CG and stopping the mechanical damage. And I am just as lazy at consistent deep conditioning as I ever was, have always used a leave in tho I definitely use a better one now.

Komaza Care offer a detailed hair analysis that is apparently amazing, apparently they can actually pick out the mechanical damage from the microscope photos it can be just as obvious as chemical or heat damage. People have posted images over on LHCF if you are a member. There are also microscope images of different types of damage, including hairspray and mechanical, on Proctor & Gamble.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect