View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
lcl0706

Well said firefox. First of all - I hope this doesn't come off as inflammatory, because I don't mean it that way. The fact is - 95% of ALL brands of shampoo, dish soap, and dishwasher liquid share the same main ingredients. Price does not make a difference, in most cases of "high end" products, the price is just paying for a label. I work with a girl who swears by salon brands because her stylist has brainwashed her into thinking those are better. I broke down the ingredient list of her $30 shampoo and compared it to a $5 drugstore one and they were all the same ingredients... and she was completely shocked. I'd bet there's not a single $30 product on the salon market that I couldn't find a cheaper alternative for if I tried hard enough. The Kinky Curly Knot Today is the most expensive per ounce product I use, and I could probably make it myself but I'm too lazy.

I'm a huge proponet of reading the ingredients of hair and skin products, and considering alternative products or approaches that may work better or be healthier. Sulfates are cheap surfactants, and they are an easy way for a hair company to make a ton of money by manufacturing a cheap product and marking it way up to people who are willing to pay for it. They work well for straight hair, and can be hell on curly hair.

Product reviews - I've seen people (on Amazon or somewhere) trash a product without knowing why it didn't work for them or explaning why it didn't - a recent one I found was for Ouidad Climate Control gel, one reviewer said it made her hair dry and strawlike and she tossed it immediately. OCC has protein in it. I bet her hair is coarse or medium and it was a reaction to the protein. But someone not knowing that would rightfully assume that the product sucks, not know why it works for others, and anyone reading the review might be swayed not to try it even if it would work for them. My hair is fine, and I love this product.... because my hair loves protein.

I hear people say they gave up after trying every product or routine that works for what seems like everyone else, and I think there's a misconception there - trying random things because they worked for others, without understanding the ingredients or their properties, makes it hard to understand why that product or routine didn't work for them. I don't think there's even ONE product or technique on this board that works for truly everyone.

There are products on the market I don't even bother to try no matter how many people here find success with them, because I know why my hair does what it does. I did the research. I've kind of guano-d this thread here, but I think it's marketing that convinces the public that certain products are designed to do certain things and can't be repurposed, with the proper knowledge and skills to do so.

Going CG requires thinking outside the box - it's not an easy process to go through, and transformation isn't overnight. I went CG and for various reasons chose to quit, it really does not work for my hair or scalp, but I gave it almost 2 full years of honest trying and I still use tons of the information I learned along the way and still avoid harsh sulfates and heavy silicones. It isn't for everyone and in the end you have to do what makes you happy (and don't feel guilty for it!), but it takes patience and the time and motivation to figure out your hair and truly understand what's happening to it. The thing to ask yourself is "do I want to make this work." That is #1, it's like a marriage lol, if you don't really WANT to do it, then don't. No one will judge you. If you do, then go from there and ask questions. After 2 years into this... are your ends dry? Why? What have you tried to fix that problem? Can you list your routine and products and maybe someone here could point you in a better direction? I'd hate for people to give up on it without ever grasping the point of it to begin with or asking for help, because when it does work, the results can be stunning.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel

Last edited by lcl0706; 05-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.
lcl0706 is offline   Reply With Quote