I did everything right with my daughter. I actually followed your advice, RCW. Sleepy cues, bedtimes routines, putting her in her crib awake. She was falling asleep on her own at 3 or 4 months with little fuss. And waking up every 2-3 hours and not going back to sleep without nursing. After nursing I could put her down awake and she would go to sleep instantly (and then wake up again in 2-3 hours) I finally resorted to CIO/Ferber and it would work (after 3-4 days of screaming hell) and she would sleep through most of the night for 2 weeks, until she started cutting another tooth, or learned to stand up or whatever. I went through this cycle 3 or 4 times until I decided that the solution was worse than the problem and just decided to go with it. She started to sleep through the whole night on her own at 15 months. So yeah, some babies really do need time.

My son was the opposite. Impossible to get down for the night, but once he was down he would sleep for 8 hours, eat and sleep for 3 more. I did not know how to gently train him to fall asleep on his own so we did Ferber and it worked the first time. When he was 9 months old we decided to see what would happen to the 4 am waking if dad (who had no milk) went to see him instead of me. He went back to sleep easily, did the same thing the next night and on the third night did not bother waking up for dad.

Babies are different. Some really do need more time.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.