How many times a week do you wash your hair and why?
I wash between one and three times a week, my scalp is somewhat greasy and my damaged ends dry and pouf easily so needs three times if I have to look presentable.

Do you co-wash/low-poo/something else and why have you made this decision?
I conditioner only wash and it was an accident! I had to switch from sulphates for the sake of both my hair AND my skin and I received the wrong sulphate-free shampoo in the mail. I use Inecto which is very light, lathers slightly, gets my hair literally 'squeaky' clean, never had any build up and can't honestly see how it could overcondition anyone. I can get out a heavy coconut oiling, or really bad sebum build up when I've been sick.

I use a cocoamidopropyl betaine shampoo a handful of times in the last two years but honestly I hate the 'dry' tangly feeling of shampoo bubbles now and my hair is unmanageable again afterwards. I only do this when I need to get silicones or hairspray out (after a wedding, accidental conditioner purchase or use).

Why I stuck with co-washing / results
Despite being badly damaged at the time, my hair depoufed and became more manageable the first week. My atopic eczema/ contact dermatitis cleared up and as a bonus my hands, cuticles and nails are in better shape. I certainly had teething problems, days when I missed a patch or didn't rinse properly as you would expect with any new technique or product. But with all CG I reminded myself the standard haircare products and techniques had wasted a couple of decades of my life so this deserved a genuine effort.

What washing techniques work particularly well for you? Why have you opted for them?
I use cool water because my hair is dyed. I use palmfuls of product as it's cheap and I like really clean (but not stripped which all shampoos now make me feel) hair. I detangle with the Inecto on rather than having to apply rinse off or leave in conditioner near the roots which I hate the 'weighed down' feel of. Rinsing until my roots feels 'squeaky' is really important, that is much longer than if I were doing the actual conditioning step. I only need to repeat with sebum build up or after a heavy coconut oiling, just as I would with shampoo.

People for whom co-washing doesn't work/ may never work seem to me to be either
- scalp problems exacerbated by co-wash product or technique
- very fine/ thin hair that is easily weighed down
- not using the right technique, more effort and product is involved
- using too heavy a co-wash product, expecting it to moisturise instead of merely cleanse without stripping
- something in their routine that builds up.
Obviously some of these could be overcome with perseverance, others not. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, plenty of people successfully combine co-washing with shampoo washing.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 05-13-2013 at 04:55 AM.