My husband is from Canada and there are few "African Americans" there. He says dark skinned people are "Canadians" or "black".
Originally Posted by Myrna
Interesting. So does "black" for him mean anyone of any ethnicity who has dark skin?

Seems to me that people of African descent who are American citizens are often just called "Americans" (not African-Americans) by people in most non-US territories, with one notable exception being Africa.

I think what is considered "American" these days (nationality) is very much shaped by who is depicted most in American media, and most of the time those people are either "black" or "white" (or some admixture). That can marginalize the people who our media tends to leave out, like Latinos, Asians and Arabs IMO. Because even when those folks have American accents and mannerisms, etc., people often assume they are foreigners (including other Americans).

My husband constantly gets asked, "Where are you from?" even though he speaks perfect English and is culturally no different than your average homegrown American. He gets that question even AFTER he has started speaking. (He's Eurasian.)
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
What part of America do you live in? LoL! I've never known White Americans to just consider Blacks to just be "Americans". They always have to stick that "African" in front.

Just like if you were born in California and are of Asian decent you're Asian-American. Even if your great great GREAT grandfather AND mother was born here.

You don't hear Irish-American or German-American much.

But you hear African-American, Korean-American, Asian-American. There's actually a REFUSAL to just call "others" pure "American".

Hell even the "Indians" can't be just American and they got here way before the Europeans. They even had to stick Native in front of their American-ness!

Now a good portion of that may be our "fault" because previous terms to describe us were so offensive we need something better to be called. And the term sounded so nice so we stuck with it, but.... Naw, Dawg I don't think we are just considered "Americans" anywhere in America.

And we ARE off topic.

Guys who hate curly hair are just idiots and its best to leave them where they are... Or where they NEED to be- OUT OF YOUR LIFE!
FroZen