View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #57
anonymous_133347

I was about to post about my own journey with co-washing. How when I first started CG I was using As I Am Co-Wash and how my hair loved it but my scalp hated it. (Caused buildup and itching. Through research I narrowed down the culprit to be a certain preservative.) Then I went a few weeks where I'd low poo once a week with Shea Moisture, and the other days I'd water wash the scalp or do a tea tree oil massage treatment. Then I found Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, my holy grail co-wash, and went back to co-washing. All this in almost 6 months' time of going CG and I've noticed no discernible hair loss. Indeed, I feel like I'm losing less hair since going CG. But then it hit me! Before going CG I used Wen. And what is Wen other than a conditioner/cleanser? (I guess I just used to think of it as shampoo and conditioner in one.) So I've been co-washing for 5 and 1/2 years. No hair loss. Nevertheless, this thread has rattled me a little. After reading it I low-poo'd to see if I lost a little less hair but my hair ball was normal sized. I'm gonna try low-pooing all week with SM and seeing if that makes any difference in my hair ball's size. I think I could switch to just low-pooing so long as it was SM (a very gentle low-poo). Seeing as how I prepoo every time I wash now anyways, whether it be a co-wash or a low-poo. . . that oughtta protect my hair from drying out.

One note though, low-pooing is not mod-CG. The technique of low-pooing the scalp and conditioning the rest of your hair is in the CG handbook. Even Deva sells a low poo. All CG really means is no sulfates, no silicones. (And no heat styling, I guess.) So I think so long as the poo is sulfate and harsh surfactant free, most curly girls' hair should be fine, right?

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

anonymous_133347 is offline   Reply With Quote