I am wondering the same thing! I have been trying all sorts of search terms/phrases to find answers and most of it seems to mention straw-like as being dry but I guess I just don't know how to determine properly.

If it makes sense I feel like my hair seems fluffy and frizzy which makes it LOOK dry, but it feels somewhat soft/moisturized to me. Although the frizz factor does make the top layers harder to get a real feel on.

I have fine, low porosity hair and have been experimenting with protein in the form of gelatin treatments (I've tried two) and as an ingredient in my low poo or RO. The first actual PT I did I followed with a DT and it straightened my hair and didn't seem like good results, so I thought maybe over conditioned with the DT. The second time I just used a good RO after and it was better, but I still don't know if I am getting "good" results from protein.

I have been using a low poo with a protein most days and a RO and sometimes using that as a LI as well. I haven't gotten to stylers yet. I am starting to wonder if I am showing signs of over-conditioning, but I can't get over how it LOOKS dry due to the fluffy, frizzyness and undefined curls without any stylers.

I don't know if just adding a styler would be best (which I am looking into) or if I am truly over conditioned. I have noticed my curl pattern seems to be looser lately. I am going to maybe try no leave in for a bit, but I guess I am just venting a bit on how hard it is for me to determine the protein/moisture balance. It would be so helpful to feel different types of hair that were dry, over moisturized, and just right!
My Hair:
2c
Fine, low porosity, med/high density
BSL - going for mid back to waist

HG: currently
just washing with a low poo that contains protein (Alba Naturals Coconut) and using Suave Naturals Coconut as both a RO and LI. No stylers right now, but this gives me pretty good curl, definition, low-ish frizz, and it feels and looks good. Also an occasional PT (liking the Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula which has cones) seems to be key for me.

Modified CG since February 2013