View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
misbehave

Hi Myrna,

Being low porosity AND coarse seems to be very uncommon here. I think that's why a lot of things that work for other curlies haven't worked so well for me. Since I've been learning more about hair "science" and have been paying attention to ingredients I've noticed that I have an extreme protein sensitivity and can't use many of the products others can.

But I had the best hair day of my life yesterday and the first really good hair day since trying CG. I should also note I'm not strictly CG and still poo sometimes. This is what I did yesterday:

-Co washed with Suave Sun Ripened Strawberry (which has EDTA for chelating, glycerin as a moisturizing humectant, and no protein or protein analogues)
-Conditioned and detangled with Suave Sun Ripened Strawberry then rinsed it out
-Squeezed the excess water out of my hair
-Sealed with apricot oil and then applied Botticelli Botanicals Foolproof "Mudd" (okra gel) before stepping out of the shower.
-Blotted out the excess moisture with my microfiber towel.
-Let air dry for a little while, then got annoyed with my wet hair and diffused. That's it!

Being a previous mousse user I feel a little wrong applying product on really wet hair then blotting (like I'm taking out the product I just applied) but it worked wonderfully!I Also, I've found I have to seal all the time. If I don't, my hair looks like crap. No matter what the dewpoint (so far). Yesterday was the first time I used the okra gel and I think this was the main difference in results for me. I've never had such definition and such little frizz with any mousse or gel. I'm not sure yet if it's going to over-protein my hair if I use it regularly but I'm hoping sealing before using it will help to prevent that.

Hope to see some other coarse and low porosity curlies chime in. And good luck, Myrna! The dewpoints are climbing here too so I'm hoping my routine sticks during the summer. Fingers crossed!

Co wash: Suave Clarifying or Sun Ripened Strawberry
RO: Sun Ripened Strawberry, TN, or TN w/ veg glycerin
Sealer: apricot oil
Styler: 4 Naturals Spring Back Custard, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, or BB "Mudd"
Using a hard water filter, microfiber towel, & silk head scarves & pillowcases

Avoiding: protein, coconut, & parabens

Last edited by misbehave; 05-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote