I have very thick low porosity hair. This winter I started using the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo, moisture milk and curl enhancing smoothie. I had the best winter ever. Typically my hair gets much straighter and more flyaway in winter but I had much smoother curls and I was very happy.

I usually have to use lighter products in the summer because the more moisturizing products make my hair flat on top in the summer. I had high hopes for the Shea Moisture products and was hoping I could continue with them in the summer. No such luck! It is extremely humid where I live and as soon as the weather warmed up it took my hair forever and a day to dry with the Shea Moisture.

So, I tried the Yes to Carrots Shampoo, conditioner, leave in and frizz serum. They were OK but I wasn't 100% happy with the leave in and serum. My curls weren't as smooth as they were in the winter. I tried the Kinky Curly products but didn't like them at all. The Knot Today had very disappointing slip. My hair looked great but that made it take way to long to detangle and the Curling Custard made it stick together like I put glue in it. I have also had the same stick together like glue but looking great problem with Giovanni Direct Leave In. I have decide it is the Aloe Vera in those products. Anyone else experience this?

So, I have settled on Yes To Carrots Shampoo and Conditioner as rinse out. Then I use a bit more of the regular carrot conditioner as a leave in. The I use the Shea Moisture Smoothie. It all seems to give me the right balance of enough moisture to give me smooth curls without weighing my hair down flat.

I am still trying to figure out how specific ingredients effect my hair, The only thing I can for sure pinpoint is the Aloe Vera making my hair stick together like it has glue in it. I don't notice any problems with protein and some of my favorite products back even way before I was curly girl had lots of protein. I have wondered about glycerin. Some of the products I like the most seem to have it but I see so many that have issues with it I have wondered if I would be better without.

For me it is a fine line between getting smooth curls, giving my curls some umph which they often need, making sure I don't have so much moisture it takes forever to dry and making sure I don't weigh down my already very thick hair with products and make it flat.
2C, low porosity, high density, coarse, shoulder length No sulfates, no parabens, no silicones
Shampoo- Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus, Giovanni Smooth As Silk, Deva No Poo, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera, Yes To Carrots
Conditioner- Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, Giovanni Smooth As Silk, Deva One Condition, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera, Yes To Carrots
Styler- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Shea Moisture Shine & Hold Mist, Yes to Carrots Leave In and Yes To Carrots Anti-Frizz Serum