I had indeed been using only one product to co-wash the whole time. It could very well be a sensitivity to one ingredient. The thing is my scalp was never sensitive, sore, red, itchy or anything unpleasant the whole time I was cowashing. My scalp was quite lovely in fact! This leads me to believe that it may not have been an allergy or sensitivity... as it probably would have lead to other symptoms as well. That's why I still think the over-conditioned follicle hypothesis is the most plausible explanation.
Originally Posted by PomegranateCurl
Overconditioned follicles sounds like pseudoscience to me - if that were the case people who uses a rich moisturiser (face or body) would be reporting hair loss in their droves and that is not the case.

It's more than possible to be sensitive or reactive to an ingredient without other symptoms, you are muddling that up with allergies where you would generally expect itching or soreness or redness ('macro' inflammation). Clinically detectable signs do not always correlate with patients reported symptoms in many health disorders.

Irritation, inflammation and damage can occur at the cellular level ('micro'), sulphate surfactants are a prime example - some get hair shedding or thinning but no other dermatological symptoms, I had an an elbow patch of atopic eczema from shampoo bubbles plus a slightly oilier face and scalp but no soreness, redness or suchlike on my head. Within a week of quitting sulphates, my eczema patch cleared never to return and my scalp and face were noticeably less oily which was totally unexpected.

Furthermore a 2010 study found skin thinning and increased water loss from aqueous cream (1% SLS) yet the participants were not reporting obvious symptoms, in fact this product has been medically recommended for many years for patients with dry skin conditions and damaged skin barriers! Aqueous Cream : National Eczema Society
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 05-23-2013 at 07:54 AM.