View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe92us View Post
Hi Myrna- I color my grays too, so I do get that. One thing I can tell you is this; since I have eliminated glycerin for the summer, my color seems to last longer! I have read that glycerin pulls color out of hair, and didn't pay much attention to it until I noticed it as a side effect of not using glycerin anymore....

I also just wanted to say something about you not using leave-ins anymore- from my understanding with low porosity hair, your rinse out is not really ever absorbed, so moisture that stays ON the hair for longer, is more important. (Per KathyMack)
Really interesting connection about glycerin pulling color from hair! I didn't know that. I occasionally use conditioner with glycerin and noticed my hair has been looking a bit lighter - which was kind of a wanted effect! But very good to know for when I don't want that!

I'm also learning about some of the things you said about leave-ins. I didn't realize (or remember) that rinse outs aren't ever absorbed in lo po hair. I haven't been able to find a leave-in that doesn't have protein, protein analogues or strengtheners though. Which was part of the reason why I sometimes use a conditioner with glycerin and/or propylene glycol (for moisture) and then seal it in. So, I guess I am accidentally doing the right thing! I'm just hoping as the dewpoints climb here I'll still be okay using a glycerin condish on occasion as long as I seal.

Thanks for your post, things are clicking into place.

Co wash: Suave Clarifying or Sun Ripened Strawberry
RO: Sun Ripened Strawberry, TN, or TN w/ veg glycerin
Sealer: apricot oil
Styler: 4 Naturals Spring Back Custard, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, or BB "Mudd"
Using a hard water filter, microfiber towel, & silk head scarves & pillowcases

Avoiding: protein, coconut, & parabens

Last edited by misbehave; 05-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote