View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Firefox7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabewavy View Post
I'm look for product recommendations for both myself and my DD. Currently we are using the DevaCurl No Poo, One Conditioner, B-Leave In, and ArcAngell. The products were working great for our hair until a couple of months ago.

Then we both starting experiencing a dry, itchy scalp. I figured my issues were caused by a new pregnancy, but that obviously isn't my 7yo's issue. When I mentioned it in passing, both my hair dresser and doctor said it's probably the change in weather and that we may need to look at using something different for spring/summer.

Anyway, here's our hair stats:

I'm a 2C/3A with medium density, normal porosity, and medium texture as best as I can tell. Along with the itchy scalp, I feel like my hair at the root is more oily.

DD is mostly 2A with some 2B on a good day. No idea on the others but her hair feels very similar to mine. She has only had the itchy scalp.

Other "issues" to consider are I'd like something more budget friendly, and we live in a very small rural town. No Whole Foods, Target, or the like. We have Wal-Mart, Dollar General, and a small Wal-greens. The salons only carry the big name commercial products and look at me like I have two heads when I asked if there are any sulfate-free, alcohol-free, and silicone-free options. Many say they've never heard of such a thing.
Did your doctor examine you and make a diagnosis? You describe your issue as a dry AND oily scalp simultaneously, that indicates more than just xerosis (simple dry scalp) with pruritis (itching). The increased sebum production suggests to me your scalp is trying to protect itself. Several forms of dermatitis can be worsened by seasonal changes and pregnancy hormones.

And you are pregnant at present? That limits what you might be wise to use on your skin, certainly would not pick a cheap commercial line laden with fragrance, preservatives and other known irritants. The CURLS line is available at Walmart now I believe, they have a kids range and claim to be organic. Otherwise a 'base' shampoo and conditioner at pH 4.5 to 5.5 ordered online (minimal ingredients, designed for customers to add oils and fragrance if desired).

Are you both eating a nutrient dense anti inflammatory diet? Particularly consider your intake of small oily fish (or long chain omega-3 supplement as medically advised if PG), sugar and white refined carbs. Nutrition affects the quality of your skin barrier which keeps water in, chemicals and microorganisms out. Also helps calm inappropriate immune responses and systemic inflammation.

HTH.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 05-27-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote