I used to have horrrrrrible knots in my hair when I was younger. Even in my early teenage years, mom would take looong times (hours, even) to get all the knots out for me.

Now? I'm one of those people that you said there aren't any of. I totally haven't had ANY knots in my hair in probably....two years. The conditioners I use almost exclusively are GVP Conditioning Balm, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and Kinky Curly Knot Today. I use Suave Coconut for my co-wash (I've never been able to decide...is Suave Coconut an ok condish?)

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's just me being lucky, or if it's the products I use, or what, but...I literally never ever have knots in my hair.
Originally Posted by Gracielou
Gracielou, I was starting to feel like I was the only one! Long or short, I haven't had an issue with tangles in a long time...although when I was younger I definitely did, which tells me that it must at least partially be technique in my case. I can say that when I get in the shower to wet my hair down I ALWAYS make sure that the water direction is flowing *with* the direction of my hair (I guess I kind of have to lean back a bit to make that happen), and that I finger comb with the full force of the shower running through my hair while it's wetting down -- flowing water is the best detangler I've found and once the hair is wet and organized it seems to stay that way throughout the shower.

From experience detangling my horse's mane and tail, I can also say to never pull on anything hard enough to make another part of the tangled hair tighten up, because you can actually make a tangle in one area WORSE while you're fighting a different one.
Originally Posted by Trick

This might sound dumb but I never thought of using the water to help me. I actually turn it off. I am soooo going to try this method. THANK YOU
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity
Co-wash, leave in, and gel: Alba botanica coconut cond., ogx mousse, &/or super wet look gel.
Curls