If I don't detangle regularly, I can get nasty knots right at my nape so I feel your pain. When it's bad, I'll use a brush to loosen the knot before getting it wet. It almost gives me a jump start on getting it out in the shower.

What I do is I start detangling from the bottom up. I'll hold my hair still a few inches up with one hand, that way when I detangle the bottom it won't tug on the roots and pull out hairseseses. . . then I just rake very gently with my other fingers and when I hit a knot I first rinse with water and then add extra conditioner, teasing the knot with the tips of my figners and plucking it (I guess you could say "pick") so that I can unravel it very, very gently. Once I've sufficiently detangled the first bottom few inches of my hair I work my way up.
Originally Posted by dusalocks
I do the same thing as far as technique, and Samanthascurls, I also use AIA Coconut CoWash. I sometimes try to detangle my hair after the cowash (before rinsing) but it's difficult unless I want to tear up my hair. For some reason, though, it becomes SO much easier to work the knots out after rinsing!

I would try using the AIA as your detangler. To me it works the same as both DevaCurl One Conditioner, so it might work well for you, too.
Originally Posted by Ceallachg
Thanks for your tips!!

I used to use AIA for my detangler and it was doing SO WELL! BUT then the more I used it for that the less it was helping. I am now trying to use AIA (besides just my cowash) but also to get my hair ready for it to be finger detangled.
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity
Co-wash, leave in, and gel: Alba botanica coconut cond., ogx mousse, &/or super wet look gel.
Curls