So today I took my cousin to the store. She's 12. We were in Sally's and then we walked past a bunch of flat irons. And my cousin goes, "Ooo, straightener." And I looked it and said, "Well, don't get that one, babe. That's a piece of crap. If you want a good one I can take you to Ulta." And then I asked, "Well, why would want to straighten your hair anyways? It's mostly straight." (Even with her new shoulder length cut and layering she's at most only a 1B/1C.) And she said, "Oh, I don't want it for me, I want it for my friend."

So I said, "Your friend, eh? Why does she need a straightener?" And my cousin said, "She's got curly hair. But not like you. It's very messy and it annoys me." So at this point I'm suddenly having junior high flashbacks and feeling so sorry for the poor girl and I said, "Well, straightening it isn't gonna make it any better. If she does that all the time it will damage her hair. And then when she goes to wear it curly again it won't curl but it'll get very big and very frizzy. Like a clown." And my cousin's brow puckered and she said, "I guess. . . but her hair already looks like that anyways." So I said, "Look, I'll bet your friend has very nice hair but she uses shampoo. Shampoo for curly girls is the devil. Please be sure that you tell her. If she's going to use it tell her to use it no more than once a week, and the rest of the time wash her hair with conditioner. Also tell her that if she can get a sulfate free shampoo it'll be even better. And tell her to google something called the curly girl method. . . "

When I started in on the evils of sulfates and silicones my poor cousin started to look confused/bored so I decided to stop rambling. I don't know. . . did I handle the situation okay? How do you convery to someone with straight hair how tricky it can be to have curly hair? How do you get them to empathize? I hate the idea of my otherwise lovely little cousin being "annoyed" by her friend's hair and giving said friend a cheap Sally's GVP straightener to "fix" it. Oh, well.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 06-02-2013 at 11:52 PM.