Very interesting!

You're saying the sulfates in shampoos make hair more porous. It this permanent to those strands or can that actually be repaired?

It's also interesting about long deep conditioner sessions. Can you point me to those articles?

When you talk about using coconut oil to reduce porosity and protect from protein loss, do you mean using it as a sealer after all other products are applied? Or do you mean using it in general to condition the hair?

I don't know if my hair is porous or not, but I'm starting to think it is. Gray hair tends to be porous anyway.
Originally Posted by CurlyGrey3
Hair is dead so nothing can be permanently repaired. You can patch up some of the damage with certain ingredients in products - hydrolysed proteins, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol, cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols - but the effect is always temporary.

The Natural Haven blog and the 'curl chemist' articles here on NC are all worth reading when you have time
Porosity and Curly Hair
Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave! - Long Hair Care Forum
Mineral Oil Versus Coconut Oil: Which is better?
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Do you need to deep condition your hair? Can you over-condition hair?

More geeky science
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2...175-p00192.pdf
Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair - Clarence R. Robbins - Google Books
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect