Edited 8/20/13 to update with my favorite, basic recipe.

I added 2 Cups frozen sliced okra to a pot of 3 1/2 cups water and 2 T marshmallow root (optional). Cooked on med-low for 45 mins (slow boil), stirring occasionally.

I strained the liquid with a mesh strainer and added 1/2 t of xanthan gum to thicken, and mixed with an immersion blender. If you want it thicker, add more slowly. I like mine more runny.

This yielded about 1 1/2-2 cups, though I didn't measure it....

I let it cool a few minutes, then whisked in these add-ins;

1/4 t citric acid (to reduce PH- available at health food stores)
1/2 t agave nectar (for hold- available @ grocery store, in the sugar aisle- you may need more or less, so you'll have to play with the amount)
1/2 t grape seed oil (any oil will work)
8 drops of vanilla fragrance oil (you can use any fragrance or essential oil for scent)

**ADD PRESERVATIVE (IF DESIRED)- PLEASE USE PACKAGE INSTRUCTIONS OR CONSULT THE WEB FOR DIRECTIONS. Each one is different. Potassium sorbate, for example, should be added to the gel at 60 degrees OR LESS (so refrigerated for a few minutes first) and also should be disolved in a solution before adding. I have also ordered Germall Plus as a more well-rounded preservative to use next time. Refrigeration is required without using a preservative!

2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip

Last edited by chloe92us; 09-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.