View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
BeautyisMiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicultcurly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyisMiree View Post
In all honesty, I thought this was okay and would be even better if they showed more African-American women with different hair types like 3a so those who aren't educated can tell our hair comes in many different types. This really shouldn't be considered a petting zoo because most people are making it seem as one.

My hair has been curly since the day I was born and since I was growing up I've been asked about my hair and if people could touch it. At first I thought it was ignorant but after a while I realized people are just curious since "black" hair isn't represented as "good" hair in the beauty world and the media.
Other than 4b, most other ethnicities, especially those considered white, have curly and kinky curly hair. I would think a predominantly black person with 3a hair would be more of an exception than a rule.

Maybe I am just jaded and have been the victim of people studying my facial features as if I am an animal too many times to not see this as a freak show. It is one thing to ask one person in private about something racially unique, but another thing entirely to be put on display.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
Really all these girls did was to educate people on "black" hair and they did it in a very simple, blunt, way.

Wether you like it or not they broke down stereotypes against "black" hair against African-American women and they accomplished that. In my opinion this was an event meant positive for African-American women turned negative by African-American women.
BeautyisMiree is offline   Reply With Quote