View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Korkscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
But maybe that's the point. Most black women here at NC and those around me in real life DON'T let anyone touch their hair ever.If they did [there wouldn't be a need for an exhibit]
While you're correct that some black women are sensitive about having their hair touched, there are some who aren't. Ultimately, if blacks and non-blacks intermingled and dated more, there'd be a general understanding of how black hair feels .... Nor do I buy that there's a "need" for such an exhibit. It's probably someone's idea of a band-aid approach, when the fundamental need (as it regards education about hair) is actually closer race relations.

Quote:
If women with long silky straight hair NEVER let anyone touch it, it would be the same thing. People would want the opportunity to see what it feels like.
It's inaccurate to assume black women are all averse to ever having their hair touched. Also, it's important to concede the fact that there are also some strong negative non-black reactions to black hair - many who won't touch black hair. Therefore blame isn't to be squarely cast on one side or the other.

Quote:
I guess being white means I don't see this as a race exhibit but as a hair exhibit.
Nope. You absolutely do not represent all white people. Yours is the singular opinion about the exhibit, as one white person. And let's not pretend certain whites (or those of other ethnic groups) don't "see race". Personally, I think we all do, but hopefully we also notice the value and beauty in our differences.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote