View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Firefox7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I forgot to mention that my scalp isn't very itchy, just flakey. The flakes are scaley and white. With Lupus, skin rashes are common so I thought, possibly it would be related to this. I have a check-up with my rheumatologist next month so I will ask him and see what he says.

I have changed my diet since May because I was having a lot of GI issues so my rhuemie told me to change my diet. I have been drinking tons of water, eating fruits and veggies, and homemade foods vs fast food. So, I don't think my diet might be the issue.

In the meantime, do you suggest anything that could help eliminate the flakes or tame them? It's just really embarrassing. Also, I'm running low on product and want to buy something that will help.

Thank you for your responses! I will stop doing all of the things I have been trying as it won't benefit my scalp.
It can take weeks or months for dietary deficiencies or imbalances to translate into improved health or skin depending how nutrient dense and varied your new diet is. You may well find you get improvements later down the line since the turnover of the epidermis is anything up to two months. It also takes time for the gut lining to heal, intestinal flora to rebalance and any issues with nutrient absorption to normalise. Obviously your immune system is fighting you at present, that could well slow down the time it takes to get a positive result unfortunately.

Bear in mind too that you may have worsened the issue by further damaging your skin barrier with some of your home remedies so set yourself back. Are you eating plenty of healthy fats especially omega-3s from oily fish, omega-enriched eggs and seeds like flax and chia now?

Without knowing the cause we cannot recommend an effective topical treatment, what is good for one scalp complaint can worsen another. A skin rash would suggest inflammation which makes sense in lupus, that is NOT the same as xerosis as you self diagnosed. The best I can suggest is be kind to your skin barrier, only use products at pH 4.5 to 5.5, gentle anti inflammatory type ingredients like aloe vera inner leaf gel. Otherwise e-mail or telephone your rheumatologist or make an appointment with your family doctor.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote