Revised recipe (thanks KathyMack & ShellyRN for past posts and input!)

I used frozen okra, whole or sliced (I've now done both).

I added 1 1/2 Cups okra to a pot of 2 1/2 cups distilled water and 2 T marshmallow root (optional). Cooked on med-low for 15 mins. Raised heat to medium and cooked another 15 minutes- it was at a low boil this last 15. Raised heat to med-high and let boil hard for 5 more. Total cooking time 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I strained the liquid with a mesh strainer and added 1/2 t of xanthan gum to thicken, and mixed with an immersion blender. If you want it thicker, add more slowly. I like mine more runny.

This yielded about 1 1/2-2 cups, though I didn't measure it....

NOTE: All the add-ins are optional. If you want to do a basic recipe to see if you like it, you could just add thickener, any oil (except coconut), and agave nectar or honey!

2nd note: this gel should be refrigerated! I separated my portion and put the other half in the freezer.

I let it cool a few minutes, then whisked in these add-ins;

1/2 t citric acid (to reduce PH- available at health food stores)
1/2 t potassium sorbate (preservative- I had to order this online)
3/4 t agave nectar (for hold- available @ grocery store, in the sugar aisle)
1/2 t Epsom salt (curl enhancer- available at drug stores)
1/2 t grape seed oil (any oil except coconut will work)
1/4 t honeyquat
10 drops of vanilla fragrance oil

Done!

Originally Posted by chloe92us
Making tonight and will try tomorrow,although will be using avocado oil instead of grapeseed. I love my avocado oil!

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Well, its made. Added a little extra agave as I do not have honeyquat. Will let you know....
3A/3B, coarse, low porosity, high density, iii I believe (?), low to normal elasticity.

CoWash/LI: VO5 Ocean Breeze/Shea Moisture
Style:IOkra Gel/KCCC
Plop 10 min / air dry

Last edited by jennag; 06-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.